The MBS Seminar Series occurs every year during the long sessions (Fall and Spring). Starting Spring 2017, MBS seminars will be held every Wednesday, at 4:00 pm in NHB 1.720.
Guidelines for Seminar Nominations:
- The seminar speaker should have a tenure track or equivalent position
- The seminar speaker should be traveling from within the USA
- Individual faculty members should host no more than 2 seminar speakers per school year.
Exceptions will be taken on a case-by-case basis. Only MBS faculty are allowed to nominate speakers. Assuming all seminar rules are met, your nomination will be accepted by 2PM the following business day. If you're nominating an international speaker, you'll need to inform the seminar coordinator, Rebekka Sherman-Loeffler. All non-US residents nominated for a seminar will need to be scheduled at least six weeks in advance.
Seminar hosts are responsible for the following items. For more information, please see the MBS Seminar Policy.
- Seminar date. The host will work with the seminar coordinator to set up a date for the guest's visit. Once a date has been selected, the seminar coordinator will contact the guest with the seminar invitation letter.
- Guest's itinerary. Three weeks prior to the scheduled visit, the seminar coordinator will provide a template Google doc to the host. The host will then circulate this template to all appropriate faculty. If the schedule still has open slots one week prior to the visit, the host will work with the seminar coordinator to fill the schedule.
- Guiding the speaker. The host will be responsible for both picking up and dropping off the guest at their hotel the day of the seminar. If unable to do so, the host should arrange for another faculty member to guide the guest before the itinerary is finalized.
- Dinner(s). MBS supports two dinners per seminar speaker, to be coordinated by the host, with the following stipulations. Please be advised that the University allows for no more than 20% gratuity.
- Dinner on the night of the seminar will be capped at $240 total (equivalent of host, speaker, and two guests), and may not exceed $60 per person attending. Any additional expenses will not be refunded.
- Dinner on the night before the seminar is optional, and will be capped at $100 total. It may not exceed $50 per person attending.
- To be reimbursed for seminar dinners, hosts will need to turn in itemized dinner receipts to the seminar coordinator no later than one week after the dinner occurred. The host will also need to list the names (first and last) of all those in attendance for each dinner.
Once a speaker has accepted the seminar invitation, they will need to provide the following information to the seminar coordinator. This should be done at least one month prior to their visit. Non-US residents will be contacted about additional paperwork needed for visa and tax purposes.
- Payee Information Form (PIF)
- Scanned copy of driver's license, passport, or visa
- Copy of short CV
- Title of seminar talk and an image that advertises your research
After paperwork has been processed, the speaker will be notified to book their flight. Flights must be purchased through UT's official travel agency, Anthony Travel (1-800-684-2044), at least three weeks in advance. Otherwise, speakers should remember to keep all itemized receipts incurred during their visit to submit for reimbursement after their trip. Expenses incurred without receipts will not be reimbursed.
For additional information or questions, please contact Rebekka Sherman-Loeffler.