General Information

MBS Human Resources assists faculty and staff with questions regarding payroll, appointments, timesheets, visas, leave, annual performance evaluations, insurance problems, key requests, and more.  You may contact Debbie Van Loan or Karen Pate directly with any HR questions or requests.  You can also submit HR requests online by using the electronic forms under "Create a New Request" on UT Direct's Request Home.  You may choose from any of the following HR request forms:

  1. HR - Assignment Change Request
  2. HR - Hire (Assign) Request
  3. HR - Reclassification Request
  4. HR - Recruit/Post a Position Request
  5. HR - Separation Request

Follow all instructions, and when you are ready, submit your requests to the following group: Molecular Biosciences - Human Resources.  You will receive an email once your request has been completed.

For questions regarding workman's compensation or other lab health concerns, please contact Health Point at (512) 471-4647.


Visa holders should give the Molecular Biosciences’ Human Resources Office at least 120 days notice before expiration of a Visa.  Failure to adhere to this timeline may result in the inability of Visa holders to work if the new or renewed Visa is not received prior to the original Visa’s expiration date.  Please be advised that initiation of Visa requests is the responsibility of the individual named on the Visa, not that of the individual’s supervisor or the department.


Hourly Timesheets

Hourly timesheets must be final approved (i.e., approved by the employee and the employee’s supervisor) no later than 5pm on the 15th and the last day of each month.  Late approvals will cause delays in issuing your check.  For more instructions, see the Time Report Instructions for Hourly Employees.

For questions on hourly payroll, please contact Karen Pate.

Monthly Timesheets

Time worked by those who are paid monthly should be recorded on a weekly basis.  Supervisors responsible for approving the timesheets of monthly employees should review and approve them weekly as well to ensure accuracy.

For questions on monthly payroll, please contact Debbie Van Loan.

Key Requests

To get keys made for NMS, MBB, or NHB, a PI or lab manager will need to email a completed key request form to the MBS Student Workers.  Once request has been signed off, it will be available for pickup at the MBS front desk (NHB 2.606).  You will then need to take the approved form, along with your UT ID, to Lock & Key Services, SER 101, during regular business hours to pick up your key.  For more infomration about Lock & Key Services, please call (512) 471-8640.

Building Access

To request locknetics card access, please email your building manager.  Request will need to include your EID, 16 digit ID card number, and the location you need access to, including building code and room number if applicable.


The University offers free notary services to all faculty, students, and staff.  For a list of notaries near you, please refer to the notary public.


Family and Medical Leave (FML) provides up to 12 weeks of leave, or 26 weeks for military caregiver leave, while restoring you to the same or equivalent position and continuing your health insurance.  In order to receive FML, you must be employed for at least 12 months by the State of Texas.  You must also have worked at least 1,250 hours during the year before the beginning of your leave.  Please contact Cynthia Nguyen (512-475 -8045) if you have questions or want to apply for FML.

For more information, please see the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), or visit UT's Leave Policy Homepage for information on all other staff leave categories.